Thursday, November 28, 2013

Becca has a job!

I know what you're thinking...exactly what Becca needs!
I've been contemplating an Edinburgh job for a while, casually keeping my eyes open without hunting too hard. It's nice but not imperative to supplement the Marshall stipend. More than that, though, it's a really great way to become more fully integrated in the uni. I've really enjoyed working in higher education admin in various roles at my previous universities: in the GenCen (women's studies department) at Michigan State and International Office at the University of East Anglia. 
I've just been offered a job as a "Publications Assistant" for the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. They are doing a major push to make more of their faculty's research open access - available to the public without paying for academic journal subscriptions. I'll be encouraging faculty to make their articles open access and working on document uploading, search parameter consistency, etc. Lots of happy, Type A paperwork to do!
I start that when I get back from Budapest. (Oh, yes. I'm going to Budapest. Because 55 pound return from London=why not!? Also, Spencer -mate from undergrad - is there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment