Tuesday, July 21, 2015

There's no place like home


I’m home! Not only am I in London, I’m actually going to be there for a walloping ten days.
Just pulled in from a lovely weekend in Scotland at The Burn, a retreat centre operated by Goodenough College, the postgraduate residential community where many central London Scholars live. The Marshalls go each year for some time all together before people whose scholarship tenure is ending fly away. We frolic about castles, romp a ceilidh (traditional Scottish group dancing), and play croquet – a *lot* of croquet. (Seriously. They would not stop playing croquet. They played by the light of their cell phones until 1am or so.
Greg and I went straight from our week in Lisbon to Scotland, with a lovely night interval at Heathrow Airport en route. I was very happy to be somewhere quiet for a few days – and it was incredibly rejuvenating to be back in Scotland. I am now very much ready to be home, though, and back to writing. I got a ton of really helpful ideas and brainstorms during my week of summer school on participatory methods, so the next few days shall be delightfully spent very quietly (the kid and his parents are traveling, so it really will be quiet) writing away. Next week, I’m teaching a summer programme at King’s, a revised version of my Brilliant Club course on “Does the Telly Lie? Media and the Middle East”. Hopefully a grand time will be had by all.







No comments:

Post a Comment