Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Brilliant Club Launch

'Tis the season for teaching! March marks my in-school placement with The Brilliant Club, the charity placing PhD researchers with low participation schools around England. I'll be teaching in two schools around Orpington,  southern suburb of London. 
Yesterday, I met one of my schools at the University of Sussex. Pupils enjoy a first day at a university, including tours of the campus and meetings with uni staff, as part of their course. I'll then go into the school 5 times to deliver university-style tutorials. The students will have a final assignment, graded at a level higher than their current level and according to a uni-style system, and then they get a graduation trip at another university to show off some of the diversity of higher education. Hopefully by the end, the students have had the chance to build their confidence and get an idea of whether and why university is right for them. 
My liaison teachers are fantastic; the students are great; Sussex is always beautiful and hilly. The day was, well...brilliant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment