Saturday, June 1, 2013

Jas' Show

I have just spent quite a delightful evening attending the dance showcase recital for one of the girls I babysit. She is ten, but the dance school has classes from about four on up through high school. Cue the adorable little baby dancers!
The show's theme was "USA", which was rather entertaining. As required, we danced to "New York, New York" and "Hotel California". But we also had "I'm a Lumberjack", to great hilarity. 
There was a combination of tap, ballet, and various modern. 
I wasn't sure what to expect - thought it was going to be a standard school recital type of thing. But it was really quite the production, with really professional costumes and seamless lighting, etc. I enjoyed more than just seeing Jas, which was nice. And now I've had a glimpse into a British caricature of American culture. And I have to say...I'm fairly sure I could have seen basically the same show in America. Either the stereotypes are viewed the same way on both sides of the Pond or they're all true. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment