Monday, March 21, 2016

Byblos

Crusader Castle? Yes, please.

The city of Jbeil, or Gebel, or Byblos, in Lebanon is one of the world's oldest. It has been constantly inhabited since 5000 BC. (Good grief. The mind boggles.) This makes it home to such casual wonders as the first recorded alphabet:



as well as ancient columns hanging out next to a main road:

















One of my new Lebanese friends and research partners, Christina, grew up in a small village near Byblos. She attended school downtown. I don't know that I've ever been happier to explore someone's childhood haunts. We climbed around the ruins of a Crusader castle dating to 1100AD, ate saj (flatbread) on our own mini oven at an adorable restaurant, explored a fabulous souq (outdoor market), and splashed in the Mediterranean.

I am incredibly lucky to have such Saturdays be a part of my 'work'.














No comments:

Post a Comment