Friday, December 4, 2015

The Water School!!!

I realise that my blog has been one big brag about Dar Si Hmad lately...but that's because they're really fantastic and I'm having an incredible time doing fieldwork with them!

My doctoral research is exploring how Dar Si Hmad engages with natural resources to build peace in creative ways, locally and internationally. I am intentionally throwing a wide net with how 'peace', 'peacebuilding' and 'conflict' are considered, wanting to include intercommunity relations and tensions as well as international ones. Through the fog project and its spinoff focus on women's capacity building, Dar Si Hmad is addressing some interesting gender aspects.

One of the organisation's coolest projects combines my favourite things: the environment, water, education, girls' empowerment, and rural communities. Check out Dar Si Hmad's Water School:


The theme of this year's 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence Campaign focuses on education. I wrote a piece for Dar Si Hmad highlighting how co-education, especially in rural areas with a focus on STEM subjects, helps to break down sexism and encourage young people to engage with each other as equals. See more fabulous photos from the Water School and read about girls and microscopes: http://darsihmadorg.blogspot.com/2015/12/microscopes-and-mathematics-in.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment